Every limited liability company operating in the United States needs to designate a registered agent. Even after you identify your initial registered agent in your formation paperwork, there are several reasons for why you may need to change the registered agent for your LLC in Idaho.
Your registered agent could be moving out of state, or they could be a former co-owner or employee who no longer works for your organization. Maybe you want to switch from an individual registered agent to a professional service that operates in all 50 states, or perhaps you’re simply unsatisfied with your current registered agent’s service.
Whatever the reason may be, each state allows you to change your registered agent at any time, and in most states the process is both simple and inexpensive. Let’s dive into the specifics of how to change your LLC’s registered agent in Idaho.
NOTE: If you need help changing registered agents, the same services that are known for offering top rated LLC services — like LegalZoom and Zen Business — can also take over registered agent duties and file the needed paperwork.
Who Can Be an Idaho Registered Agent?
An Idaho registered agent is a person or business entity that has a physical address in the state. You or one of your co-owners can serve as your own registered agent, you can designate a friend or family member for this role, you can hire a lawyer or accountant as your agent, or you can hire an online business services company to provide registered agent service.
No matter who you choose to be your registered agent, they need to be physically present at the address provided to the state during all standard business hours. This person or entity does not need to have any prior experience being a registered agent, but it’s wise to choose a registered agent who is familiar with the serious responsibilities that come with this role.
According to the Idaho Secretary of State, these are the requirements to serve as a registered agent in this state:
- “You can, as an individual, act as your own registered agent if you have an Idaho physical address. Or, you may use another legal business entity who is filed with our office with an Idaho physical address, but not your own entity.
- To provide registered agent service in Idaho, you must be an individual who can be located at a physical address in the state, or a business entity who is filed with the Secretary of State’s office to transact business in Idaho and have a physical office in the state.”
For more general information regarding the role of a registered agent with an Idaho LLC, we encourage you to check out our full guide on the topic.
What Is the Procedure for Changing Your LLC Registered Agent in Idaho?
While the role of the registered agent is vitally important for any American business entity, this role can always be changed, and there are different rules for how to change your agent depending on which state your business operates in.
In Idaho, a limited liability company may change its registered agent by filing a Statement of Change form, or by indicating the change in its annual report.
Option 1) Filing a Statement of Change Form
One way that an LLC in Idaho can change registered agents is by filing a Statement of Change of Registered Agent, Registered Office, or Both form. This form does not have a filing fee, and it can be filed via mail, fax, or in person.
Option 2) Indicating the Registered Agent Change in the Annual Report
An Idaho LLC can also change its registered agent by including the new registered agent’s information in the LLC’s annual report. The annual report does not have a filing fee if filed online, and the only other way you can submit this report is if you file a paper form in person to the Secretary of State’s office, which has a $20 manual processing fee. The LLC’s annual report is due each year by the end of its formation month.
The state of Idaho has a standard processing time of 7-10 days. Expedited service is available for an additional $20, which ensures that your filing will be completed within eight hours.
Prefer to Have a Registered Agent Service Handle Your Requirements?
A registered agent service is a company that specializes in being a registered agent for a wide variety of businesses across the country, bringing tons of expertise and a healthy dose of reliability to the role.
Most professional registered agent services operate on a national basis, meaning there’s no restrictions on which states you can operate your business in. They also tend to charge affordable rates, as you can find several registered agent services that charge around $10/month or even less for this service. In addition, most of these companies will also offer to handle the process of changing a registered agent for you.
If you’re interested in this option, we highly recommend Northwest Registered Agent.
The Law for Changing Your LLC Registered Agent in Idaho
It’s always important to be well-informed regarding the specific laws for changing your registered agent. In Idaho, registered agent laws do not vary depending on entity type or domestic/foreign classification, so all LLCs can refer to the same law.
According to Title 30, Chapter 4 of the Idaho Code:
- “A represented entity may change the information currently on file under section 30-405(1), Idaho Code, by filing with the secretary of state a statement of change signed on behalf of the entity which states:
- The name of the entity; and
- The information that is to be in effect as a result of the filing of the statement of change.
- The interest holders or governors of a domestic entity need not approve the filing of:
- A statement of change under this section; or
- A similar filing changing the registered agent or registered office of the entity in any other jurisdiction.
- The appointment of a registered agent pursuant to subsection (1) of this section is an affirmation by the represented entity that the agent has consented to serve as such.
- A statement of change filed under this section takes effect upon filing.
- As an alternative to using the procedures in this section, a represented entity may change the information currently on file under section 30-405(1), Idaho Code, by amending its most recent registered agent filing in the manner provided by the laws of this state other than this chapter for amending that filing.”
If you operate a limited liability company in the state of Idaho, you need to designate a registered agent to receive important government document deliveries on your behalf. If you decide at any time that you would rather change your registered agent to a different individual or business entity, it’s important to know what that process looks like.
In Idaho, an LLC may change its registered agent by filing a Statement of Change form, or by indicating the change on its annual report. Both are simple documents with no filing fees, but if you’d rather have a registered agent service handle this task for you, you certainly have that option.
We hope this article helped you improve your understanding of changing a registered agent in Idaho, and as always we thank you for choosing Registered Agent Ready!